Once of my biggest gripes with my iPhone and other iDevices has always been the painfully slow YouTube access over WiFi. I always brushed it off as a problem with our local YouTube ISP’s, or a problem with the local YouTube servers, and hoped a fix would surface soon enough. 3G however is mostly perfect.
I tried various fixes online, from changing my DNS entries, to rebooting my router etc. however none actually worked. I tested this by comparing the loading times of the exact same video which was sluggish to begin with – It’s not all videos that are sluggish, but as I will later discuss, only the “HQ” i.e. HD ones – 720p and up.
I thought I would share a quick fix for those experiencing similar problems. So here it is:
iPhoneZA’s Slow YouTube Fix
This fix involves using the YouTube mobile site instead of the native YouTube app. And you will later realise why.
Step 1: Head over to http://m.youtube.com from your iDevice (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch)
Step 2: Tap the “More” Icon (left of the bookmarks icon), and select “Add to Home Screen”
Step 3: Once the YouTube icon has been added to your home screen, give it a shot by tapping on it. The Youtube site should load up.
Step 4: Go to your favourite video that was lagging before (most likely an HQ video such as the one pictured below).
You will notice the red “HQ” block in the bottom left of the video thumbnail preview. (see pic 3 below). The description also suggests that this is a 1080p Full HD video – No wonder it was buffering in the native YouTube app! (My poor ADSL line!
Tap the red “HQ” block to turn HQ off, and it will inform you that High Quality has been turned off.
(see pic 4 below)
Step 5: You are good to go! Enjoy your favourite YouTube videos buffering free!
Other Methods Reported to help
You are welcome to try the other method which invloves editing your DNS entry to that of Google’s (188.8.131.52).
In order to do so, you have to enter the Google DNS entry in your WiFi settings.
Tap the blue arrow next to your connected WiFi network in Settings > WiFi. Then, under the DNS entry field type in:
As we said before though, this DNS “fix” did nothing for us. But our first method works wonders!
Let us know if any of how these methods worked out for you in the comments!
If you liked this tutorial, please share it with a friend by tweeting it or emailing the link at the top of the page