Want to get in on the iOS 7 action early? Well then look no further!
It has been confirmed by iPhoneZA that users can upgrade to the latest iOS 7 Beta 1 firmware by simply shift+updating their device in iTunes.
NOTE Regarding UDID Slots: While the below method is working for now, these betas are intended for Apple developers only. if Apple does implement UDID checks at a later stage, and you do not have a UDID slot purchased, your device may stop working or fail to update. If you would like to play it safe, we have a limited number of UDID slots available from the purchase link below.
More info on UDID’s : A UDID is a Unique Device Identifier, which is added to an Apple Developer account in order to instruct Apple that this device will be used to beta test software, such as the iOS 7 Beta software below. Since this software is only intended for Apple Developers, Apple sometimes carry out UDID checks. With the workaround below, this may work for now, however if Apple implement UDID checks at a later stage, your device may suddent de-activate, or you will not be able to upgrade to the next beta version in a months time. To play it safe then, we would recommend a UDID slot. Furthermore, you can restore straight to iOS 7 if you have a UDID, as no “workaround” such as the one below is then necessary. The method is the same as below however, but instead of using the update button, use the restore button.
How to Install iOS 7 Beta Right Now (No UDID Slot Required)
1. Get a copy of the iOS 7 Beta firmware
2. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. iCloud backup should be the safest, but can take long if you have a lot of data, and free iCloud account only allows up to 5GB storage. To make a local backup plug your device into iTunes, right click it in the sidebar, and click backup. It may also be advised to separately backup your photos to iPhoto or a seperate folder if in Windows juuust in case.
3. In iTunes, plug the device in and hold shift + update, or alt/option+update on a Mac and select the firmware file downloaded above. If on a Mac, the firmware file sometimes is in DMG format, for which you must open the DMG file first and extract the .ipsw firmware file. Windows users can use dmg extractor or 7zip and extract the .ipsw from the DMG. Jailbreakers see note below.
4. NOTE: Jailbreakers will most likely need to restore to a fresh iOS 6 firmware before attempting the above to avoid errors. This must be the latest firmware which is 6.1.4 on iPhone 5, or 6.1.3 for iPhone 4S.
*Only devices registered with Apples Developer program are supposed to activate/work, so use this opportunity while it lasts! It’s unclear if this is a temporary counter-measure to deal with the traffic of activation requests, or an intentional move by Apple. So we would be quick if we were you!
UDID Slot Purchase (read note above):
Please ensure your UDID is correct as no refunds can be issued.
Please note that orders are generally processed from 09:00-00:00 weekdays CAT, however most orders are usually processed within 30 minutes of placing your order.
Once you receive email confirmation that your UDID has been activated, then your order has been processed. Please allow extra processing time on weekends.
Notes & Warnings NB!!! :
– You will lose your jailbreak and will be unable to re-gain it.
– If activation is unsuccessful using the above method, keep trying – Apple servers are likely being pummeled by all the activation requests, even more so now this method has been confirmed working.
– You may be stuck at the activation screen if you shift+restore. Rather do the recommended shift+update from iOS 6.
– It is reported you will be able to downgrade/restore back to the latest iOS 6 Apple firmware for your device.
– iPhoneZA takes no responsibility for any issues that may arise. Keep in mind iOS 7 is very much a beta software, so expect bugs.
– I would not advise making a new backup once on iOS 7. It is a beta after all, and generally, if you need to go back to iOS 6, these backups do not work due to different file structures etc which are sometimes introduced in the new iOS version.
– This beta is set to expire in about a months time, meaning you will need to upgrade the version after this, or your phone will lose activation and stop working until you do so. It may not be advisable to install this on your everyday device – your call, don’t say you weren’t warned.Share This: