Today we found out a bit more about the previously announced Apple Watch. More specifically, the exact capabilities of the watch, the different versions of the watch, and the respective prices of each. Let’s take a look at some of the basics we learnt from today’s event.
What we learnt
A few things knew and learnt about the Apple Watch today:
– There are three core versions of the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch, Watch Sport, and Watch Edition.
– Battery life is “all-day”, which according to Apple in this instance, means up to 18 hours.
– You are able to make and receive calls from your Apple Watch. Very neat!
– The Apple watch supports Apple Pay, allowing you to make payments straight from your wrist.
– The Apple watch charges via a magnetic induction charger which attaches to the back of the device.
– “Hey Siri!” works on your Apple Watch. No need to be plugged in like you do on your iPhone.
– An example of app possibilities – You can Uber from your wrist. Very neat!
Gizmodo has put together a nice summary of the different versions below:
Apple Watch Sport
- Anodized aluminum and not gold
- 60 percent stronger than standard alloy
- Colors: silver or space gray
- The cheapest model possible
Price: $350 (38mm), $400 (42mm)
- Only compatible with the Sport strap ($50) figured in the final cost.
- Stainless steel
- Sapphire glass
- Colors: Polished silver and glossy space black
- Hard metal – 80 percent harder than normal stainless steel.
- For the non-sporty and also the non-Millionaire
Price: $550-$1050 (38mm) and $600-$1100 (42mm)
- Sport band: $50
- Leather loop: $150
- Classic buckle: $150
- Milanese loop: $150
- Modern buckle: $250
- Link Bracelet: $450
- It doesn’t matter what size band, all prices are the same.
- It would seem whatever initial band you choose is figured into the price
Apple Watch Edition
- Yes, this is the 18-karat gold one.
- For the Mr./Mrs. Moneybags in your life
- Uses special Apple-created gold material
- Will be a limited edition and only in select countries.
Price: $10,000-$17,000 (in select stores in select countries only)
Availability & Pricing
Pre orders start April 10 in launch countries, and will be available in-store starting April 24.
Launch countries include the US, UK, Australia, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Germany, and France.
More info is available on the official Apple Watch page.
South African Launch Date and Pricing
We have not received word on an SA launch date or pricing yet. We would expect the Apple Watch to be available anywhere from 2-3 months after the US launch date of April 24. Stay tuned to our site and Twitter and Facebook feeds for information as we receive it.Share This: